Art Appreciation, "The Museum Experience" MOD2

Monday, November 24, 2008















































































The Metropolitan Museum was founded in 1870 and opened its doors to the public in 1872. Wealthy businessmen, northern financiers, and artisans combined their talent and resources in order to develop and shed light upon the growing and very popular fine arts culture. The building that houses the musuem is quite large boasting over two million square feet. Located within the world's most expensive and sought after real estate in the heart of Manhattan, the Metropolitan stands out on Fifth Avenue as most formidable, and well-built in its Greco-Roman design. On the first floor and straightacross from the entrance are the Dynastic Egyptian collections. The mummies and the hieroglyphics are a must see. The museum is built around its beautifully designed atrium also known as the "great room" which segways into the Greco-Roman sculptures and artifacts which make up the remainder of the first floor. On the second floor is an unopened exhibit on Islamic art and a wealth of artifacts and thousands of cunieform tablets from ancient Sumerian, Hittite, and Assyrian/Babylonian cultures. Among these objects are armor and weapons from antiquity as well as a chariot dating from the near Eastern bronze age. Located on the third floor are over 12,000 American paintings including hundreds of famous paintings such as Emmanuel Leutze's "Washington Crossing the Delaware". This floor also houses the ancient exhibits of the near East that includes over 7,000 artifacts in itself. Overall the musuem is host to over two million artifacts, sculptures, and paintings broken up into 19 different curator departments. These departments extensively cover the timeline of art history and culture and are definitive of Ancient Egyptian, African, American, Asian, Islamic/Byzantine, European, and Modern art.

4 comments:

Helen said...

I cannot wait to go this weekend. I am particularly interested in seeing the Rembrandts and the Vermeer paintings. I am also going to see the Arms and Armor section andwhatever else catches my eye. I am sure I will take so many pictures that I won't know what to do with them all. I am bringing extra batteries just in case since my camera seems to just eat them!

Ron L. said...

I have to agree, I visited the Met a week ago the Saturday that it was pouring so I only spent about two hours there, and was amaze with what I saw. I plan to go back probably sometime in the spring. From your posting it appears I miss a lot of great stuff.

Helen said...

Great shots, Ulysses and thanks so much for telling me where certain things are located because I don't want to waste any time while I am there. I want to experience it and let the vastness of the museum and all it stands for just envelope me.

Jerry said...

Nice photographs there Ulysses...

As you know, I have six total assignments in this class...four of our traditional papers about 750 words in length. That address issues raised in the syllabus and two of the assignments are photographic essays. Similar to what you've done here....

It sounds like you were particularly captivated by some of the ancient work you found!

Followers